Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Newport to Bandon, Oregon

I am dead tired tonight and instead of telling you what we've done, I'm just going to post some pictures.  There isn't much to say anyway.  We mostly stopped at different beaches.  My two favorite stops were at Devil's Churn and Cook's Chasm.  We were up on the bluff, overlooking these two places.  The waves were big and they came in these small places roaring!  


                                The Devil's Churn - the picture really doesn't do it justice!


This is Cook's Chasm - the water spouted out of the top every time a wave hit.  They say it was a cave that the top opened up over time from the heavy waves.

We also walked on a couple beaches while the tide was out.  It was sort of foggy so the pictures weren't real good but that never stopped me from taking them!

You can see the water way out there and we walked about 45 minutes here.  They said it was a good place to find agates but, of course, we didn't find any.  At least I didn't see any rocks with a sign that said "Pick me up!  I'm an agate!"


Doesn't this look like a picture you'd find in your Sunday School class?  This was at the same beach as above.


                                                                This is at Seal Rock.



                                                                 A beautiful beach


                                                        The Oregon Sand Dunes


                                                       The Umpqua River Lighthouse


Inside the triangle you can see brown floats.  This is an oyster farm and the floats support ropes that the oysters are attached to.  It takes them 2 to 4 years to mature.  The water temperature is 51 degrees and is 80% salt water and 20% fresh water.  We saw a video about oyster cultivation at their office (Umpqua Aquaculture) and usually you can see the shuckers at work. They don't work one day a week because they have to totally clean everything.  Of course, Tuesday is their cleaning day!  Anyway, the video was great!


This is the Coquille River Lighthouse.  The tide was out while we were here so we walked on the beach and I ventured a little too far.  I was standing on a rock and thought I was far enough from the water - WRONG!  The water came up over my shoes and about 6" up my jeans!  It stayed a long time (I thought) and then receded and I was able to go back to Conrad.  He was watching all this but didn't have the camera with him.  So, that was my little adventure for the day.

It was a great day and we're looking forward to tomorrow.  Hope you enjoyed the pictures.  I'm going to bed now

No comments:

Post a Comment